找回密码
 注册
搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
查看: 1612|回复: 4

[[资源推荐]] Desperate Housewives 1《绝望主妇》1(精讲之一)

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-7-24 16:50:51 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
在别的坛子上看到的, 觉得很不错, 贴过来大家看看.

Desperate Housewives 1《绝望主妇》1(精讲之一)
文化面面观 童话公主vs绝望主妇

思想火花 《绝望主妇》的宣传语是“每个人都有一个肮脏的小秘密(Everyone has a little dirty laundry)”。

影片对白
Danielle: Why can't we have a normal soup?

Bree: Danielle, there is nothing abnormal about basil puree.

Danielle: Just once, can we have a soup that people all heard of, like French onion, or navy bean.

Bree: First of all, your father can't eat onions. He's deathly allergic. And I won't even dignify your navy bean suggestion. So, how's the osso buco?

Andrew: It's okay.

Bree: It's okay? Andrew, I spent three hours cooking this meal. How do you think it makes me feel when you say it's okay in that sullen tone?

Andrew: Who asked you to spend three hours on dinner?

Bree: Excuse me?

Andrew: Tim Harper's mom gets home from work, pops open a can of pork and beans, and boom, they're eating. Everyone's happy.

Bree: You'd rather I serve pork and beans?

Danielle: Apologize now, I am begging you.

Andrew: I'm saying, do you always have to serve cuisine? Can't we ever just have food?

Bree: Are you doing drugs?

Andrew: What?

Bree: Change in behavior is one of the warning signs and you have been as fresh as paint for the last six months. That would explain why you're always locked in the bathroom.

Danielle: Trust me, that is not what he is doing.

Andrew: Shut up. Mom, I'm not the one have a problem here, right? You're the one who is acting like she's running for mayor of Stepford.

Bree: Rex. Seeing that you're the head of this household, I would really appreciate you saying something.

Rex: Pass the salt.

Mary Alice Young: Three days after my funeral, Lynette replaced her grief with a much more useful emotion. Indignation.

Lynette: Tom, this is my fifth message and you still haven't called me back. Well, you must be having a lot of fun on your business trip. I can only imagine. Well, guess what, the kids and I want to have some fun, too, so unless you call me back by noon, we are getting on a plane and joining you.

Boy: Mum.

Lynette: Not now, honey, Mommy's threatening Daddy. No. Where are you brothers?

Natalie Kline: Lynette Scavo!

Lynette: Crap! Hi, don't believe it!

Natalie Kline: Lynette! How long has it been?

Lynette: Years! How are you? How's the firm?

Natalie Kline: Good. Everyone misses you. We all say that if you hadn't quit, you'd be running the place by now. So, how's domestic life? Don't you just love being a mom?

Mary Alice Young: And there it was. The question that Lynette always dreaded.

Lynette: Well, to be honest...

Mary Alice Young: For those who asked it, only one answer was acceptable. So Lynette responded as she always did. She lied.

Lynette: It's the best job I've ever had.

妙语佳句,活学活用

1. osso buco: An Italian dish made of veal shanks braised with olive oil, white wine, stock, onions, tomatoes, garlic, anchovies, carrots, celery and lemon peel. Traditionally, osso buco is garnished with gremolata and served accompanied by risotto. In Italian, osso buco means \"pierced bone.\" 翻译成中文就是“炖小牛膝”、“焖小牛腿肉”,是带骨头的。一般意大利餐馆都有。

2. doing drugs
Do这个词简直可以说是英语中的万能词了,和不同的词搭配、在不同的语境下有不同的意思。对白中的doing drugs就是“吸毒”的意思,再比如:

A rest will do you good.
休息一下对你有好处的。
Kate Blanchett did Elizabeth I in the film Elizabeth I.
凯特·布兰切特在电影《伊丽莎白一世》中扮演伊丽莎白一世。
Who did the flowers?
谁插的花?

3. as fresh as paint 生气勃勃的,精神饱满的

通常吸毒的人在吸食毒品后都会表现的很有精气神,这是毒品作用力的结果。而吸毒的人如果突然中止吸毒或是减少吸毒量,就会发生严重的戒断反应及各种并发症,常常会引起死亡,甚至会因痛苦难忍而自杀身亡。我们来看个例子:That boy looks as fresh as paint. 那个男孩看起来很有活力。

4. run for, run the place

Run for 的意思是“竞选”,相当于campaign for;run the place 的意思则是“主管,经营,掌管”,相当于manage;例如:
John Cliff is running for the mayor of our town.
约翰·克利夫正在竞选我们镇的镇长。
David wants to kick Bob out and runs the company by himself.
大卫想把鲍勃踢走,自己掌管公司。

5. the head of this household
“一家之主”,和我们汉语中的说法很相似吧?

6. crap

SHE的稍微好一点的称呼。在口语中,crap可以用来表示“不好的东西,没意思,无聊,不值得的事情”,也可以用来表示惊讶或是愤怒。而bullSHE则多用在有人对你撒谎、你表示生气的场合,或是很荒谬、可笑的场合。

在这个片段中,当Lynette 看到以前公司的同事,更加刺激了她那绝望无助的家庭主妇身份,因此说了一句Crap!

7. domestic life
注意这里可不是“国内生活”,而是“家庭生活”。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-7-25 12:01:11 | 显示全部楼层
Desperate Housewives 1《绝望主妇》1(精讲之二)
影片对白
Mary Alice Young: Susan awoke that night alone and parched. And as she gazed out her window, she saw the tall drink of water she needed to quench her thirst.

Julie: Dear Diary. Mike doesn't even know I'm alive.

Susan: Shut up.

Julie: If you want to date him, you're gonna have to ask him out.

Susan: I keep hoping he'll ask me out.

Julie: How's that going?

Susan: Shouldn't you be making brownies for your nerdy friends?

Julie: I can't find the measuring cup. Have you seen it?

Susan: The measuring cup?

Julie: Yeah.

Susan: Hmm. I, uh, well, it's gotta be here somewhere. Just keep looking.

Carlos: I know you're awake.

Gabrielle: I know you're a jerk.

Carlos: Dinner with Tanaka ran long. I'm sorry.

Gabrielle: You know, Carlos, I didn't marry you so I have dinner by myself 6 times a week. You know how bored I was today. I came this close to actually cleaning the house.

Carlos: Don't be that way. I got you a gift.

Gabrielle: Nope. No, no, no, no. You're not gonna buy your way out of this one.

Carlos: It's a good gift.

Gabrielle: Is that white gold?

Carlos: Yeah. Put it on. And then make love to me.

Gabrielle: Not in the mood. But, we could stay up and talk.

Carlos: When a man buys a woman expensive jewelry, there are many things he may want in return. For future reference, conversation ain't one of them. Hey, that was a joke.

Gabrielle: Yeah, right.

Carlos: What the hell is wrong with you?

Gabrielle: Let go of me.

Carlos: You've been acting like a nightmare for a month.

Gabrielle: Stop!

Carlos: What's wrong? I can't fix it unless you tell me.

Gabrielle: It's not exciting anymore, Carlos.

Carlos: So what am I supposed to do?

Gabrielle: I dunno. Be the way you used to be. Surprise me. Take my breath away.

Carlos: Okay. Okay!

Mike: Hey, Susan.

Susan: Mike!

Mike: What's wrong?

Susan: I didn't realize anybody was going to be out here. I just sort of rolled out of bed.

Mike: I'm sure you look fine.

Mike: Bongo, Bongo, Bongo. No, no... Behave. Sorry. He scares easy.

Susan: No, it, it, it's fine. I get it.

Mike: I didn't mean to disturb you. I'll see you later.

Susan: Did you want to have dinner with me?

Mike: Just the two of us?

Susan: Well, and Julie. Uh, it's a thing we do when somebody new moves into the neighborhood, we invite them over for a home-cooked meal. It's sort of a tradition.

Mike: I thought you said you were a lousy cook.

Susan: Well, I order take-out.

Mike: Oh. You invite them over for home-cooking and you give 'em takeout.

Susan: Yeah, it's, it's, uh, it's sort of a new tradition. I'm working out the kinks.

Mike: I'll tell you what. How 'bout I cook. And you guys come over to my place?

Susan: Oh! Great.

Mike: Friday night at six?

Susan: I'll be there.

Mike: Alright.

Susan: Bye, Bongo.

妙语佳句,活学活用

1. Nerdy 书呆子式的,书呆子气的

不管在哪里,“书呆子”式的人似乎都不怎么受欢迎。Nerdy 是指“书呆子式的,书呆子气的”,它的名词形式是nerd(书呆子)。例如:Did you see his pocket protector? What a nerd! 你看到他用的口袋保护袋了吗?真是呆死了!

2. it's gotta be here somewhere.

“应该就在这附近吧。”很口语化的句子,赶快学起来。

3. Don't be that way. 别这样。

这也是一个非常生活化的句子。恐怕很多男女朋友吵架的时候都会说到:你不要这样子好不好?就是这个 Don't be that way 了。

4. buy your way out of this one

大多数有钱的男人和女人都有这种毛病,以为可以用金钱来补偿爱情和亲情。财大气粗的Carlos也不例外。这里Gabrielle 的意思是:你不要以为买个礼物给我,我就能原谅你了。

5. Behave 规矩点

在国外,如果小孩子淘气,做妈妈的经常会说 Behave! 意思就是“规矩点”。当然这个词不只是对小孩子用的,也可以用来威胁人,比如:Behave! Or I'll kick your ass! 规矩点,不然我就踢你!

6. He scares easy. 他容易受惊。

Scare 除了我们常讲的“惊吓,使恐慌”的意思外,还有不及物动词的用法:受惊,比如:That child scares easily. 那个孩子容易受惊。

7. order take-out 叫外卖

知道“叫”外卖怎么说吗?就是 order take-out,和在餐馆点餐一样,比如你可以这样问:Can I order take-out here? 你们这儿有外卖吗?

思想火花 托尔斯泰曾经说过:幸福的家庭家家相似,不幸的家庭各有各的不幸。在影片中,这四位主妇面对着不同的危机……

Gabrielle 是那种将享受生活的理想进行到底的女性。因此她嫁了一个大款,满以为这下就可以拥有自己想要的一切。可是很快她就发现大款只是把她当作摆设,如果能帮助他赚得大笔钱财,那让其他男人轻薄一下也未为不可。在这个家里,一切似乎都可以用金钱来交换,包括夫妻生活。空虚、孤独的Gabrielle为了寻求刺激,和家里才17岁的小园丁发生了故事。不过,有钱人似乎可以接受一切交易,能不能接受背叛就不一定了。

Susan常常因为老公嘲笑她不会烹饪而发脾气,最后老公和女秘书跑了。这样一个单亲妈妈心中极度渴望爱情,但是当社区里搬来心仪的单身汉时,矜持的Susan却不敢主动出击,最后在女儿鼓励下,邀请Mike共进晚餐,还要撒个谎,绕个大弯子。

Bree在外表看来,堪称完美的家庭主妇。一切家务她都务求尽善尽美,每顿饭都是精心准备的大餐,生了病也要整理好床铺,家中一切事务的办理都要以她的完美为标准。但是这却让她的老公和孩子受不了。毕竟没有一个人是完美的,在这个事事要求完美的家政女王的强势指挥下,老公和孩子离她越来越远,家庭生活已经危机四伏了。

Lynette在结婚前是个事业小有成就的职业女性。为了家庭和孩子,她放弃了事业,放弃了自我,很快她就陷入面对四个淘气孩子的恐惧之中。而她的老公却整天忙着工作,并不能体会她的心情、甚至背着她有了婚外情。

仔细看看周围,在我们的身边就能发现这些主妇的身影。看来,婚姻是爱情的坟墓不假。不过,也有人说,如果不结婚,爱情就死无葬身之地了

来自:英语点津
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-7-25 15:14:26 | 显示全部楼层
精讲不错!

可惜当时看得太快,没仔细听仔细想

现在第四季还没出全呢吧?
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-7-28 13:17:29 | 显示全部楼层
Desperate Housewives 1《绝望主妇》1(精讲之三)
影片对白

Susan: Okay, I've got to break the ice here. So you're in counseling. Big deal. You want humiliation, I'll give you humiliation. I locked myself out of my house, stark naked, and got caught by Mike.

Gabrielle: Oh my God, when did this happen?

Susan: Today. Right before the party.

Mike: What can I say? Right place, right time!

Lynette: I think I can top that. Try getting thrown out of Disneyland for lewd behavior.

Susan: What? When was this?

Lynette: When Tom and I were first married, things got a little out of hand on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Rex: You're kidding.

Lynette: No. We got perp walked down Main Street USA.

Gabrielle: Since we're doing true confessions, Carlos and I once broke a waterbed in Cancun.

Mike: How'd you manage that?

Gabrielle: Well, he used to have a thing for spiked heels.

Carlos: I'd just like to make it clear: she was wearing them.

Bree: Rex cries after he ejaculates.

Bree: So, uh, where will you be going?

Rex: I'll be staying at the Motor Lodge.

Bree: The hotel by the interstate has better rates, and uh, it's closer to your work.

Rex: Fine.

Bree: I'm packing your swimsuit. There's a pool there, and I know how swimming relaxes you.

Rex: When our kids ask where I am, what are you gonna say?

Bree: Um, I could tell them that you went to tennis camp. That was a joke.

Rex: Yeah. I got it.

Bree: There. Obviously, if you've forgotten anything, you can, um, come right back and get it.

Rex: Well, I'll call you.

Bree: Rex. In college, when we first started dating, people were so jealous of us. We were the golden couple. Everybody knew we were going to have this wonderful life. Why is this happening?

Rex: Because you can't even let me pack my own suitcase.

Susan: Hey!

Julie: Where are you going?

Susan: Just a sec...

Julie: Mom?

Susan: Don't worry, I'm not packing heat!

Susan: Hey, Brandi. Could you scoot a little? Just, scoot. Thank you. Hi.

Karl: What are you doing?

Susan: I'll be quick. Brandi, I'm sorry for the way I treated you. It was uncalled for and childish and it won't happen again. I have built up a lot of anger towards you, both of you, and I realize now that I just can't carry that around anymore, so, apology or no apology, I'm moving on.

Brandi: Mrs Mayer!

Karl: Brandi. Brandi, get in the car.

Brandi: Mrs. Mayer...

Susan: Please. Call me Susan.

Brandi: I just wanted you to know what happened between me and Karl, things got out of hand, because I thought your marriage was over. Anyway, I just wanted you to know I'm sorry. I really am.

Susan: Thank you.

Mary Alice Young: And though it came from an unexpected source, Susan finally got the apology she always wanted.

妙语佳句,活学活用

1. Big deal

Big deal 的本意是指“重要的人或事”,例如:She is a big deal in local politics. 她在当地政界是个大人物。但是在这里,Susan说的是反语,意思是“不是什么大不了的事”。例如:So you got the job after all-well, big deal!

. Get out of hand

If situation gets out of hand, it can't be controlled any more. 例如:Things got a little out of hand at the party and three windows were broken.(宴会的局面有点失控,三个窗子被打破了。)In my first year at college my drinking got a bit out of hand.(我上大一的时候喝酒喝得很多。)

3. There

这里可不是“那里”的意思,而是“好了”,有点语气词的味道。比如有人哭的时候,你要安慰她就可以说:There, there. Don't weep any more. 好了,好了,别再哭了。

4. golden couple

在汉语中,我们常说一对夫妻或是情侣很登对、羡煞旁人,在英语中就是golden couple。

5. packing heat

意思就是carrying a gun。想不到吧!在俚语中,pack有carry的意思,heat有gun的意思。这里Julie以为妈妈要和抢走爸爸的女人大打出手,Susan则告诉女儿“自己没有拿枪(不是要打架的)”。

6. built up a lot of anger

意思是“生了很久的气”。这种搭配有俚语化的倾向,但不失为地道。例如:Lily built up a lot of anger towards her boyfriend. 莉莉生她男友的气生了很久。

7. Move on

这里Susan的意思是:She can't be angry anymore, so she's going to move past it. 不管Karl和Brandi道不道歉,Susan都不再介意了。例如:I realize that I can't carry the depression of getting divorced any more, I'm moving on.

思想火花

俗话说家丑不可外扬。对于自尊心极强、完美至上的Bree来说,丈夫在那么多邻居面前说出他们在进行婚姻咨询,无异于给她的心上划上重重一刀。因此当众位邻居说出自己的糗事以缓解气氛的时候,她恶毒的说出了丈夫的怪癖。从来都不认为自己错了的Bree在丈夫搬出家门的时候也不禁感叹:In college, when we first started dating, people were so jealous of us. We were the golden couple. Everybody knew we were going to have this wonderful life. Why is this happening? 其实,Bree也有脆弱的时候,只是,维护她完美形象的信念使她把自己认为不够好的地方都藏起来,只以优雅、完美的姿态示人。

鞋子舒不舒服只有脚知道,婚姻幸不幸福只有当事人知道。但是,两个人生活在一起是要过日子的,而不是要演戏给人看的。华丽的外表就那么重要吗?

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-7-29 16:42:55 | 显示全部楼层
Desperate Housewives 1《绝望主妇》1(精讲之四)
Mary Alice Young: When I was alive, I maintained many different identities: lover, wife, and ultimately, victim. Yes, labels are important to the living. They dictate how people see themselves. Like my friend, Lynette. She used to see herself as a career woman. And a hugely successful one at that. She was known for her power lunches... her eye-catching presentations... and her ruthlessness in wiping out the competition. Lynette gave up her career to assume a new label: incredibly satisfying role of full-time mother.

Lynette: Scavo residence. Yes, this is me.

Mary Alice Young: But, unfortunately for Lynette, this new label frequently fell short of what was advertised.

Lynette: How in the world did they...

Ms. Butters: I left the door to the art supply cupboard open for five minutes. That's all.

Lynette: Five minutes. The little girl. Why didn't she say anything?

Ms. Butters: Your boys work quickly.

Lynette: Well, obviously, they will be punished for this. Severely.

Ms. Butters: I hesitate bringing this up since you got so ugly about it last time.

Lynette: They don't have attention deficit disorder. And I'm not going to drug my boys just to make your job easier. I'd rather change teachers.

Ms. Butters: The boys are in my class because I'm the only teacher who can handle them.

Lynette: What if we separate the twins? Put them in different classes. They're much calmer when they're not bouncing off one another.

Ms. Butters: We can try that. But if it doesn't work, we may not longer be able to accommodate them.

Mary Alice Young: It suddenly occurred to Lynette her label was about to change yet again. And for the next few years, she would be known as the mother of the boys who painted Tiffany Axelrod blue.

Mary Alice Young: It looked to be an interesting afternoon on Wisteria Lane. A mysterious cassette tape had been discovered by my friend, Bree. She had stolen it from her marriage counselor. A counselor I'd once spoken to in strictest confidence.

Dr. Goldfine: So, how have you been?

Mary Alice Young: I had the nightmare again.

Gabrielle: It's so weird to hear Mary Alice.

Dr. Goldfine: Still the same one.

Mary Alice: Yes. But this time, I was standing in a river, and I saw the girl under the water. She kept screaming Angela over and over again.

Dr. Goldfine: So what do you think the significance of the name Angela is?

Mary Alice: Actually, that's my real name.

Gabrielle: Her real name? That doesn't make any sense. I've seen her driver's license. It did not say Angela.

Susan: Bree, what does it say on the rest of the tape?

Bree: Just more about her nightmares and this girl she was afraid of.

Gabrielle: So what the hell do we do now?

Susan: I think we should show Paul the note.

Lynette: Are you sure? He's gonna freak.

Bree: Well, it's now or never. I mean, I saw what he's asking for the place. It's gonna sell quickly.

Gabrielle: Can I say something? I'm glad Paul's moving.

Bree: Gabby!

Gabrielle: I'm sorry. He's just always giving me the creeps. Haven't you guys noticed? He's got this dark thing going on. There's something about him that just feels...

Lynette: Malignant?

Gabrielle: Yes.

Susan: We've all sort of felt it.

Bree: That being said, I do love what he's done with that lawn.

妙语佳句,活学活用

1. Wipe out
想象一下,一块脏兮兮的玻璃,你用抹布,蘸上清洁剂,几下就抹得干干净净,和污渍的斗争大获全胜。引申为把对手“彻底击败,彻底消灭”。例如:The gangsters threatened to wipe him and his family out. 歹徒们威胁要把他和他的家人全部除掉。

2. Feel short of
本意是“缺乏,不足”,这里的意思是“不足以,和……不符合”。片断中 this new label frequently fell short of what was advertised. 的意思是,相对于双胞胎在学校里的所作所为,incredibly satisfying role of full-time mother 这个标签显然还不够明确(在标明Lynette的身份上)。

3. You got so ugly about it
Ugly这里的意思是“生气”,大概因为人们生气的时候,脸色就会变得很难看,所以ugly也引申成为这个意思吧。我们来看一个例子:Don't get ugly. I'm just kidding. 别生气,我只是开玩笑的。

4. Give somebody the creeps

“让人感到毛骨悚然”。Paul一家是个有很多秘密的家庭。当一个人心中有太多的秘密时,在行为上难免有些不正常的表现。Paul 的表现难免让邻居们感到不舒服。我们来看个例子:That guy's always staring at me. He gives me the creeps. 那个人总是盯着我,他让我感到毛骨悚然。

文化面面观

Attention Deficit Disorder 儿童多动症

A disorder characterized by a difficulty in retaining focus, especially on tasks, for long periods of time. As one of the most common reasons children are brought into therapy, ADD is often treated with the somewhat controversial drug Ritalin?, which is thought to work by stimulating the attention-focusing structures of the brain.

多动症是一种常见的儿童心理疾病,这类孩子智力一般正常,但存在与实际年龄不相符合的注意力涣散、活动过多、冲动任性、自控能力差的特征,以致影响学习。多动症的发病率为3%左右,男孩约为女孩的4-9倍。

有人认为,多动症的发生,可能是由于脑神经递质数量不足,脑组织器质性损害,或是遗传因素造成。

近年,许多独生子女家长“望子成龙”心切,由于教育方法不当及早期智力开发过量,使外界环境的压力远远超过了孩子力所能及的程度,是当前造成儿童多动症(注意力涣散、多动)的原因之一。另外,吃了食物中的人工染料,摄入含铅量过度的饮食(不一定达到铅中毒)也会导致多动。

此外,国内资料表明,在多动症患儿的不良家庭教育方式中,家长中所谓的"严格管教者"占61.7%,放任不管者占3.5%,过分溺爱者占7.05%。国外亦有学者认为,暴力式的管教,会使患儿症状发展,并增加新的症状,如口吃、挤眉、眨眼。而对患儿漠不关心、放任自流和过于溺爱等,常可能促使症状出现,或使已有的症状加重。

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-5-12 07:23 , Processed in 0.336245 second(s), 6 queries , Redis On.