搜索
热搜: 超星 读书 找书
楼主: xiao4zhu

[[学习策略]] “英语课堂游戏”专帖(请勿跟贴,谢谢!)

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2008-10-28 00:58:19 | 显示全部楼层
20. Bingo Adapted

Level: Any Level

Use basic Bingo board (3x3 0r 5x5 with the middle crossed out)

1. Simple vocabulary bingo
From the list of words the students (Ss) are required to learn they select 9 (or 24) . Teacher to call Bingo 2 or three times until everyone knows their card.

2. Teacher calls the words. Ss with those words have to shout them out. Only the first one to shout gets to cover the square.

3. Grammar point or sentence structure.
Call the words. The first student to shout out their word in the the required structure gets to cover the square.

eg. To use the present perfect.

After practising the vocabulary Ss have to say I've been a nurse or never been a nurse.

NB the truth is not important. I was happy with I've been a village once as long as they knew what was wrong.

Gets very competitive and noisy.

Do not do with a hangover unless you get the winning student to be the bingo caller.

Submitted by Jo
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-10-29 20:34:15 | 显示全部楼层
21. Bingo with Irregular Verbs

Level: Easy

The teacher prepares a 5x5 grid with 25 irregular verbs in the past tense in each square. Make enough variations of these grids so each student has one that is slightly (or very) different.

The teacher then calls out the verbs in their present tense form until a student gets five in a diagonal or horizontal row. Bingo!

While it may seem time-consuming to make the grids, they can be used over and over. This game is received very enthusiastically because often, students are already familiar with it. It is great as a warmup activity and can have many variations (past-participle, time of day, vocabulary)

Submitted by Sharon Stokoe
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-10-29 20:35:18 | 显示全部楼层
22. Can You Find What Is Different?

Level: Easy

Ask a volunteer to go out of the classroom. While the student is out of the room, the other students change their sweaters, shoes, coats and so on. Bring the student who went out of the classroom back inside. He/she has to guess the differences (speaking in English, of course.)

Submitted by: Raquel Fiol
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-10-30 17:10:48 | 显示全部楼层
23. Career Letters

Level: Medium to Difficult

My high school students have enjoyed this activity very much. It helps them think about more possibilities for a future career and is a great writing activity. They also learn how to write a business letter by writing a real letter.

Many ESL students have limited knowledge of career possibilities. Far too many think only in terms of becoming a mechanic or a secretary. So first you discuss with them some of the opportunities they have.

Students choose a career field and then write a letter to a school requesting information about that field. It could be anything from astronomer (local or out-of-town university) to electrician (technical institute) to travel agent (yes, there are travel agency schools!)

You help them perfect the letters and mail them out. When they get a reply, share it with the class.

Submitted by Dale Garratt
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-10-30 17:12:01 | 显示全部楼层
24. Catching up on your ABC's

This game is short and simple. Write the alphabet on the board. Throw a bean bag to someone and say a word begining with the letter A. This person must catch the bean bag, say a word begining with the letter B and then throw it to another person This third person says a word begining with the leter C and so on.

Obviously the game is meant to be played fast. If played with higher level students you may not want to write the alphabet on the board. There are many ways to change the game to make it adaptable to your level of students.

Submitted by: Adam in China
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-10-31 13:46:30 | 显示全部楼层
25. Chain Spelling (Shiri-tori)

Level: Easy to Medium

The teacher gives a word and asks a student to spell it, and then a second student should say a word beginning with the last letter of the word given. The game continues until someone makes a mistake, that is, to pronounce the word incorrectly, misspell it or come up with a word that has been said already, then he/she is out. The last one remaining in the game is the winner.

This game can be made difficult by limiting the words to a certain category, e.g.. food, tools, or nouns, verbs, etc.

Submitted by: Huang Shufang
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-10-31 13:48:01 | 显示全部楼层
26. Class Mixer

This game can be played with a range of different levels. It can be used purely as a mixer/ice breaker or can be adapted to reinforce target gambits, grammar or vocabulary by directing the 'chat' portion of the game. This game is essentially an adaption of the old 'Who am I?' game. Start with a 'chat' either in rotating groups or in an interview format. This portion sets the level and focus of the game. For example a low intermediate class might be instructed to ask all of their classmates a series of "Have you ever...?" questions. A more advanced group might be told to talk to all their classmates about a certain topic, leaving the specific questions up to them. With a lower level group I find a note taking form to be useful. After the chat portion, do the 'who am I' game using your students' names. They must use the same target language to ask yes/no questions and find out who they are.

Submitted by Michelle Harkness
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-1 09:59:32 | 显示全部楼层
27. Classroom Rules: Must and Mustn't

Prepare small pieces of paper each with either one thing students must do or one thing students must not do.

Tell the students that they are supposed to form sentences that explain classroom rules.

Divide the class into groups (of 4 if possible, so that everyone gets a chance to speak).

Give each group the pieces of paper.

The winning group, the group that finishes first, reads their sentences aloud. (Each student of the group reads one or two sentences depends on size of group.)

It's an easy game and the preparation does not take too much time. You can make as many rules as you wish.

Submitted by: Sijeta Braha
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-1 10:00:48 | 显示全部楼层
28. Concentration Using an Overhead Projector

This is a game for the overhead projector. It is a version of the game "Concentration" in which students flip over cards of items to find matching pairs. For the overhead projector you will need to make a grid of squares on a transparency. Five squares across by four down. I make the square about 1.25 inches on a side. At the top of the grid write the letters THINK, one letter over each column. Down the left side of the grid write the numbers 1234, one number to each row. Make a transparency of your grid. Next, cut out cardboard or heavy paper "tents": small rectangular pieces just large enough to cover each space. I call them tents because they have a little flap which I use to pick them up. Prepare the game in advance. You have to think of ten pairs of any item. For example, ten pairs of opposites, ten pairs of irregular past tense forms (get,got) or ten pairs of a picture and a word. Write (or draw) one word or picture in each space in a random fashion. Place the transparency on the OHP (with the light off) and cover each space. When you turn the light on, the students will see the grid but each image or word will be dark. (You will be able to see the words and images illuminated through the paper)

TO PLAY: Instruct the students (and model of course the first time) that they are to pick two squares by calling out a number and a letter for each square. For example T2 and N4. You uncover the spaces as a students calls out the letter. If the two spaces uncovered are a match write the student's name in the spaces with a marker and toss them a prize (a piece of candy serves nicely). If the two spaces are not a match, cover them back up and call a different student. As spaces are uncovered, excitement builds in the classroom until the last two spaces. Since these are obvious winners, you can take the opportunity for teacher inspired humor and call on either the class "comic" making a big display of "Are you sure?" or any other individual who maybe had repeated incorrect answers.

An individual game usually takes between 15 and 20 minutes to complete.

If you keep several transparencies of the grid handy, you can prepare a game pretty fast for the last part of the class. If you are doing a unit on irregular past tense, you can prepare a grid using the specific verbs that you reviewed in the lesson.
This game was introduced to me by veteran Los Angeles Unified School District teacher Vida Hellman (now retired).

Submitted by Barry Bakin (bbakin$$$lausd.k12.ca.us)
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-2 04:17:18 | 显示全部楼层
29. A Conversation Idea - How Do You Kill Time?

Level: Medium

Here is a simple idea to generate chat among your students. We all know that there are moments during the day when we have nothing to do, no plans. For example, when you are waiting for a teacher, a friend and so on. How do we occupy these periods of time, either mentally or physically? For example:

Activity A

What do you do during the TV advertisements?

Make a list of what the students say

(My students got these)

Talk to my sister
I read something, anything
I get up and do something
I go to the bathroom (!)
I change channels
I look for something to eat or read
I call a friend
I water the plants
I put on some food for the next day
I phone Pizza Hut
I put the children to bed
I brush my teeth
I unload the washing machine/put clothes on line
I rush to do the washing-up

You can also get the students to tick off the ones which they regularly do and check the most common activities.

Activity B

Ways to pass the time/occupy your mind/self when you are:

In a bus queue
Waiting at a supermarket check-out
In a doctor's waiting-room
Waiting for your boy/girlfriend on a cold day-outdoors
In a cinema/theatre, waiting for the film/play
In a traffic jam
In an airport/train station
In a lift/elevator
Getting your hair done/cut
Etc ...

Submitted by Gerard Counihan
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-2 04:20:37 | 显示全部楼层
30. A Conversation Idea - Rate the Apparatus

Activity A

The many household apparatus/machines/gadgets we use at home make life a little bit easier; the micro-wave oven heats things up quickly; the fridge keeps perishable goods fresh; the washing-machine cleans our clothes and saves us time. So, when put to the test, which of these machines/apparatus could we do without-IF WE HAD TO. In other words, which of these machines is the
most important, generally speaking. Get your students to make a list of ten common ones, and then get them to list them in order of perceived necessity (for want of a better word). Here is a list I gleaned from my pupils, don't show it to the pupils at first.

Refrigerator
Washing machine
Shower
Toilet
Tea/Coffee maker
TV
Radio
Telephone
Light bulb
Cooker

Of course, these items must be rated according to perceived necessity, and the rating must be justified. Reasons for a choice must be given. Students will debate the "top" necessity and so on, down to the least important item.

Activity B

Are these things necessary?

The activity A could branch out into further items we use to make life easier and, presumably, make life better. For example:

Perfume
Hair driers
Mirrors
Walkman
Cigarette lighters
Special wine glasses
Mobile telephones
Curtains
Expensive furniture
Sweets and savouries
Etc ...

The idea is not to embark on an ethical crusade, but simple to get people thinking and speaking in English. All of this is, crucially, backed up by realistic reasons for the comments made. Some of the items above are by no means original, but they are everyday things which are part and parcel of our lives.

Can you think of more normal, common-or-garden items which could be dispensed with?

Submitted by Gerard Counihan
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-3 08:16:34 | 显示全部楼层
31. Counting Liar Game

This game is similar to the Alphabet Liar game except it deals with numbers and adding the "S" sound at the end of plural nouns , all you need is a deck of cards.

Divide the students into groups of 4 to 6. Deal all the cards from the deck to the students. The player who has the 2 of Spades begins. This player puts down his 2 of spades and any other 2 he has in his hand FACE DOWN in a pile and procedes to say "one 2" or "two 2'ssss" then next player procedes to put down his 3, then 4, then 5 etc...

Let's say the player doesn't have the card he is supposed to put down, for example a 3, the player must try to "lie" or fool the other players into thinking he has the card so he can play... if other students have any doubt they shout "liar" if the player was lying he then pick up the pile at the center of the table. If the player who is accused of lying was telling the truth it is the player who accused him who must pick up the pile in the center.

All players MUST put down a card when it is their turn, even if they do not have the required card. The game is over when one of the players has no more cards.

I use this game to help practice the "s" sound at the end of plural nouns cause most students have a tendancy to say "there are 2 dog" rather than "there are 2 dogssssss" this game really helps the message get through. ***For better explanations see the alphabet liar game.***

Submitted by: Jeffrey Kelso
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-3 08:17:27 | 显示全部楼层
32. Crazy Story

This is an activity that will make your students speak in class and be creative.

Ask students to write a word on a piece of paper and tell them not to show anyone. This word should be a verb (or whatever you'd like to rewiew).

The teacher starts telling a story, then stops and chooses a student.

That student will continue the story and must use his/her word. This student then chooses the next student to continue the story.

The last student must end the story.

After the story is over, the students then try to guess what words each student has written on his/her paper. The student who guesses the most words wins the game.

Submitted by: Luciana Pinheiro
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-4 00:13:55 | 显示全部楼层
33. Create Your Own Similes

Present a few similes and the sample sentences to the class. Write the sentences with underline.
Ex. - The baby's skin was as white as snow.
- Finishing up the project by himself,the boy was as
- proud as a peacock.

Prepare flashcards with one adjective on each. Students pick out one card in turn and create similes by using the adjective on the card. Emphasize that unique ideas are welcome. Instructor shouldn't be judgmental, and accept any similes as long as they are logical.
Ex. - as big as Mt. Fuji / as soft as a cotton candy
Students compare their ideas and discuss which ones are interesting or funny.

If time allows play a song which includes a simile, for example the jazz song "As deep as the ocean" and discuss the usage and effectiveness of the simile.
This activity fosters students' creativity and encourage their active participation in the lesson.

Submitted by Mari Nakamura
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-4 00:15:13 | 显示全部楼层
34. Cut-Up Sentence Kabadi

Level: Any

This is a combination of a basic TEFL game and the Indian(?) game Kabadi(?).

Prepare some cut up sentences from the grammar or vocab area you've been working on and place them on a table at the front of the class. Arrange the students into teams, standing behind a line or marker. They have to run to the table and arrange the words into correct sentences, however, they are not allowed to breathe in. To prevent this the students have to repeat 'kabadi' over and over. If they stop saying the word they have to return to their teams. The first team to correctly arrange all their sentences is the winner. This can get a bit wild but it's fun.

Submitted by John Mehers
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-5 09:27:00 | 显示全部楼层
35. Describing Appearances & Characteristics of People

Level: Easy to Medium (Low to low intermediate)

Each student is then give one sheet of paper. One student sits at the front of a room. He/she describes a person and the rest of the class draws the person being described.

It is more interesting if the person being described is known by everyone. Once the student has finished describing that person then he/she reveals who it is and each student shows his/her drawing. The laughter from this is hilarious as the impressions tend to make the character in question look funny.

It is a good idea to encourage students to ask the interviewee student questions about who they are describing.

Submitted by: Darrell
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-5 09:27:57 | 显示全部楼层
36. Descriptions

Write down names of every student in your class on pieces of paper.

Give the names to students. Try to make two students describe each other.

Ask them to describe the person whose name is on the paper.

After they finish, give the description to the person who is described. He/she has to find any writing mistakes on the paper.

Students work in pairs to correct the two papers.

Submitted by: Nguyen Nhu
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-6 06:24:03 | 显示全部楼层
37. Digital Camera Scavenger Hunt

Level: Easy to Difficult

This game may require students to leave the classroom depending on how you set it up.

Make a list of things students must take photos of. Then put your students into teams, each with their own camera and have them go out and take the photos. The team that comes back first with all the photos is the winner.

Some ideas for lists are:

bus, taxi, car, bicycle, etc.

restaurant, post office, mail box, traffic light, etc.

In the classroom: pencil, pen, eraser, blackboard, etc.

Around the school: principal's office, copy machine, cafeteria, etc.

For further review of vocabulary, have the students look at all the photos and identify other things that appear in each photo.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-6 06:25:42 | 显示全部楼层
38. Draw the Teacher

This game helps to teach children the names of facial parts.

Divide the class into two teams. Then draw 2 ovals shapes on the board. Then yell "Draw the teacher's eyes!" and the two leading students from each team run up and draw your eyes on the oval. Then yell "Nose!" which is drawn by the next two students. And so it goes. The student get a ball out of this as they have permission to make fun of their teacher, and your image can get to look pretty distorted. You can add other features, such as nose or ear hairs. This will also work if you want to do body parts as well. Just draw the basic torso instead of ovals.

If the kids are unsure as to which facial/body part you're talking about, just point to it.

At the end say both images look pretty good and call it a tie.

Another variation on this could be for naming parts of animals. The resulting picture would be a monster. i.e. peacock's tail, snake's head, elephant feet, bat's wings, etc.

Submitted by: Tindros
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-11-7 08:18:07 | 显示全部楼层
39. Essay Planning Made Easy

My students find it hard to brainstorm ideas,plan what to write and present balanced opinions. This activity seems to help because it works from a fun speaking base.

Use big pieces of paper. Write a different word within a group on four pieces of paper and stick in different corners of the room(eg. animals: horse, elephant, dog, monkey) Tell the sts to go and stand next to the (animal) you like best/fear most/want to be" etc. Students go to corners and justify their choice to other students.

This can be done in various ways to suit the situation; I sometimes end up with teams having to offer and counteract arguments publicly across the room. The topics can become more abstract, depending on the level of the students.

Finally, bring the activity together by choosing the basis of an essay topic,eg "The Rainforests". Elicit single words for the big pieces of paper, eg 'fuel/building materials/ oxygen/medicines (the brainstorm) and stick them on the board. Then invite students to sort them into two overarching groups; eg reasons for forest conservation or reasons for using the wood (the plan) Repeat the verbal argument 'game' in teams but keep notes of the submissions on the board or on paper(the body of the essay)

Finally write a sentence on the board eg:
"Although it is important to ___ because ___(give one reason) I believe it is more important to ___ because (give two main reasons."

Students then go to one of the two main groups they broadly agree with and produce their final pronouncement(the conclusion).

Review the process overtly. Get the students to write in groups next time, then go it alone with the same methods.

Submitted by Jane King, New Zealand
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|网上读书园地

GMT+8, 2024-5-15 22:00 , Processed in 0.401112 second(s), 4 queries , Redis On.